Friday, January 15, 2010

Farm Life Friday: The Very Yucky Compost Bucket

Every Summer growing up I went to a little church camp. I had a lot of fun and made a lot of memories. One memory I would love to forget was the slop bucket. It was a plastic ice cream bucket that you would pass down the table at the end of the meal. You would use a spatula to scrape your plate clean of uneaten food and drink. Once it was full, someone had to take it away from the table. No one wanted that job.

Who knew that Summers with the slop bucket would prepare me for real life experiences? We have a septic tank. no garbage disposal, and a compost pile. That means...we have a compost bucket. A slop bucket.

I actually took a picture of the bucket to post here, but have decided not to gross you all out. You have good imaginations ;). The bucket has taken some getting used to, but I am making it. I truly miss my garbage disposal. On the upside, I feel very green for my efforts :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo yes.. the compost pile! I don't have to do this.. however I have been contemplating doing this for my garden.. but this description makes me think I am crazy ;-)

Becky said...

growing up, our dogs didn't eat store bought food...we scraped our plates and they ate the slop bucket. lol a self cleaning slop bucket!