Friday, September 17, 2010

Product Review: My Princess Bible by Andy Holmes



This last week a beautiful, fun and God-centered book arrived at our house for my girls. I gave it to Mini Cooper since she didnt yet have a 'Bible' of her own. Mini Cooper LOVED it. My Princess Bible is covered in pink sparkly glitter and has pretty princesses on the front. It's just the right size for her little arms to carry it around the house-and she has! Mustang was just a little jealous {read, she kept trying to trade Mini Cooper for things so she could look at her Bible}. She enjoyed the pictures and kept asking me to read the words she could not.

So what is the My Princess Bible? Here is a little from the Publisher:

"My Princess Bible shares stories of 19 women of the Bible through a rhyming story and a short takeaway summary in prose. Each story ends with two lines that remind the reader of valuable character traits of a princess; the little princesses are even encouraged to recite the learning of the biblical princess using her name in the blank instead: “________ is God’s special princess; ________ is sad when she does something bad” (the takeaway from the story of Eve). This format helps children see biblical women as princesses who teach us about godly principles. It also helps reinforce that the little girl reader is special and seen as a princess because she is created by God. The final story (number 20) is taken from Psalm 139 and features the reader as the godly princess. It reminds the reader that princesses are daughters of the King and are loved by God. Little girls will love to read My Princess Bible over and over to learn about God’s princesses."

And what did WE think?

Obviously, my girls loved it. They were drawn to the pictures and the presentation. Mustang knew the women were Bible princesses and kept trying to figure out which was which.

I loved that my girls were drawn to something that would not only entertain them, but promote Godly values. I did, however, have mixed emotions about the over simplification of a few of the stories. The stories in My Princess Bible are presented in a rhyme. The rhymes are well written and not cheesy, but required an extra layer of personal interpretation of the Bible story on the part of the author.

Overall, I would give My Princess Bible a 4 out of 5. It is sold by Tyndale House Publishers and lists for 12.99. It is recommended for girls age 1-4. To read more, and purchase your own My Princess Bible for your princess {Christmas is coming!} check out the Tyndale House website. Or follow Tyndale House on Twitter. God Bless!!

This is a MamaBuzz Review. Thank you to the Tyndale House Media Center for providing me with a complementary copy of My Princess Bible for my review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: