Sunday, January 3, 2010

My New Year's Resolution

Yep, the generic post title this first week of January 2010. I am sorry if you have come to expect something more creative from me ;).

It is indeed the beginning of a new decade. Yikes! My 3rd decade here on this earth, and not my last, Lord willing. And, with human tradition, one is supposed to compose a long list of things to do, and likely fail at, for the next 12 months of life. The list is supposed to highlight friends, family, education, weight, home, and employment goals intending to bring us one step closer to becoming the next Martha Stewart, Hillary Clinton, Angelina Jolie, or Michelle Duggar. Not necessarily in that order. We set lofty goals and by January 2nd or at least 31st, the majority of us have forgotten what our goals even were. Honestly, I am not trying to be Debbie Downer, but this is generally how New Year's Resolutions go.

So, with that in mind, I went about making my list of things I wanted to improve in my life this next year. I thought of ways to improve my marriage, ways to grow closer to my children, ways to improve the look-and shape-of my body. The books I want to read, the homeschool goals I have, the garden I want to grow (or at least dream about), the organizing I want (need) to do...the list is endless.

As I thought about and prayed about my New Year's resolution, a verse kept coming to my mind:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33 KJV

God has already promised me that if I put Him first, the rest of the things I need to do will fall into place. He will give me the wisdom to prioritize what needs to be done, and the energy to do the tasks. He will also give me a positive additude even when its hard to find one.

I read the Duggar's book '20 and Counting' this past fall, and in there I read a quote by Jim Bob Duggar. He said that "life is a race against time and the best way to use it is to serve God and others."

I pray that God will be the center of 2010 for myself and for you.

1 comment:

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

I liked the bit where you talked about how God has promised that if you put Him first, the rest of the things you need to do will fall into place. It touched my heart that you have found energy from God and a positive attitude too. I am sure that He will give you a great year ahead. All the best.