Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sound Boxes: Letter I

This is the do-over version of this post lol! I came back to do a small edit 2 weeks later, and deleted the entire text. So, I am sorry if its not exactly like the first time.

I found the idea to make Sound Boxes from What DID we do all day? I love her blog and Montessori ideas. A sound box is a collection of activities to teach a phonetical sound. I thought I would start out with our letter of the week. I short I. I found out that this is a very hard sound to make a box for, as there are limited amount of objects that start with short I. But, I had a lot of fun making it and wanted to share the idea with you!


I got most of the ideas for what to put in the box from What DID we do all day?, but I added a few of my own.

Here's what's in our box:



Sandpaper letters

Letter I objects: Insect, Iguana and Instruments {which I since removed and replaced with Indian-which of course needs to be moved to Native American when I can find another I object}.

Letter I cards, one set was cut apart and put inside the I box. The other set I left together for matching. I downloaded these from Our Montessori Story

The Letter I for Iguana from our flashcard set.

Lowercase and uppercase I is for Inchworm sorting from Confessions of a Homeschooler.

Find the I snowman game from PreKinders

How to Build an I template from Tired Need Sleep

I'll take I printable book from Alphabet Avenue {scroll down to Alphabet Readers Zip File}

Worksheets from Starfall that my friend made into a cool book for Mustang.

This was a bit of work, but Mustang really enjoyed exploring the box. And, all but the worksheets were printed on cardstock and laminated so *hopefully* they will be used by Charger and Mini Cooper {and any other kids} as well.

God Bless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo what a fun sound box! I love the idea of gathering the stuff together for each letter/letter sound!

Debbie said...

This sounds like a fun way of teaching phonics! I will have to look more into it.

Supermommy said...

This looks great...and fun!