Friday, April 16, 2010

Book Review: If I Could Ask God Anything



My daughter is always asking questions. Generally, they are somewhat trivial questions: Why do I have to sleep at night? Why do I have to eat my green beans? Why do I need to wash my hands? But sometimes they are more important, much more important: Does Jesus sleep at night? Why do old people die? Can I take my baby doll to Heaven? I try my best to answer these simple {or not so simple} questions. But, soon, they will become even more important still: Who is God? and How do I get to Heaven? I need to be ready to answer her.

I was thrilled to receive 'If I Could Ask God Anything-Awesome Bible Answers for Curious Kids' by Kathryn Slattery as part of the Thomas Nelson Book Sneeze book club for review. In her book, Ms. Slattery helps parents, teachers, friends, and kids themselves answer the tough questions that kids ask about God, faith and the Bible. Taking questions from real children, she gives short, yet thorough, answers along with Bible references.

If I Could Ask God Anything has a great layout. The questions are broken down into 11 groups, covering such topics as The Bible, The Church, and Being a Christian Forever & Ever. It could be read straight through, or used as a reference book. I also think it would make a great kid's Bible study book, exploring a new question each week.

The author does not specify, but I would recommend this book for children age 8 and up. And though most of the questions and answers are universal to all Christian denominations, some are not-specifically the question of 'How Do I Get to Know Jesus?' Some of the questions may need a bit more explaining, but over all this is a great resource for parents, kids, and anyone wanting to learn more about the Bible. God Bless!!

Thank you to the Thomas Nelson Book Sneeze Club for providing me a copy of this book for review. I was not paid for my review and the opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Thanks for sharing! Gracie isn't asking many questions yet, but this sounds like a wonderful book for when she gets a little older.