Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adam and Eve Story Telling Box

I am so excited to share our story box with you! A little background before I start. Thanks to What DID We do all Day, I learned of a great Montessori Sunday School Program called Godly Play. Well, we dont have a program around here, and I cant afford to buy their materials, but I loved the idea of making little boxes containing the things needed for children to recreate Bible stories. I also saw a few great story box ideas on Early Learning at Home and I was hooked. So, first up was our Adam and Eve box.

I presented this story in two different sessions, first Adam names the animals and Eve is created, and then second the story of the fall. But here is the entire story.



I keep the set in a little Sterilite box, 1.25 from Walmart.



In the beginning, God created the earth, including special place for man to live. {Green felt square 25 cents Hobby Lobby.}



The special place was called the Garden of Eden. It was Paradise! Beautiful flowers {foam stickers, Dollar Tree} and fruit bearing trees {Walmart, I'd like to replace them but that's what I had! The fruit was made by cutting apart a floral berry stick from Hobby Lobby}.



God placed Adam in the Garden of Eden to live. {Hobby Lobby wooden people,colored with markers}



God brought all the animals to Adam. Adam gave them each a name! He named them horse, duck, sheep, pig, & cow, to name a few. {I cut these from a book that the kids had torn apart}



As he named the animals, Adam found that each animal had a mate. But there wasnt a mate for Adam! Adam was lonely and sad.



God said it is not good for man to be alone. So, he put Adam to sleep and took out his rib. The kids loved putting Adam to sleep!



And from Adam's rib God created a woman. Her name was Eve. {Please excuse that she is slightly smudged, Mini Cooper tried to eat her}

This is where I ended the first lesson. We repeat the first lesson when I tell the second lesson.

Adam and Eve lived together in the Garden of Eden. They talked with God and had a good life! The fruit trees grew fruit for them to pick and eat. They could eat the fruit from ANY tree except one. The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. It was in the middle of the garden and God told them not to eat from it or they would DIE!



One day a serpent came to Eve. He told her that God was lying, and that she would not die if she ate the fruit. Eve looked at the fruit and thought it looked very good, so she decided to eat it! Adam ate it too!! {Snake is from a Toob of reptiles-sorry, our snake never has legs}



All of a sudden, Adam and Eve realized they didnt have any clothes on!! So, they quickly made clothes out of leaves that they could find. {or in our case a couple of leaf buttons tied on with pipe cleaners}



Backside view of their fashions.



Now, Adam and Eve did not immediately die, so you may think that the serpent was right and God was wrong, but He was not. Adam and Eve would have lived forever if they hadnt eaten the forbidden fruit. But since they ate the fruit, God made them leave the Garden of Eden. Out in the world they would have to work for the food, and eventually die.

The serpent was punished, too. God took away his legs and made him slink along the ground-making him easier to get stepped on!



God put a gate around the Garden of Eden and placed an angel in front. Mustang has informed me that he is missing his fire sword-she is right!



An overhead view.




And a few up close views of our angel. He is also from Hobby Lobby and his halo is a pipe cleaner.

So that's the box! I had SO MUCH FUN Putting this together. I know my kids really enjoy it, too. They help me tell the story an I thing the props really help it sink in. I hope you love it, too!

1+1+1=1
This post is linked up at 1+1+1=1 Raising Rocks Stars. Checkout her site for great ideas for teaching the Bible to your children. God Bless!

14 comments:

Annette said...

I LOVE IT! I had never heard of doing this before but what a neat idea! What better way for little ones to learn the story than to retell it using this! You did such a great job putting it together, what creativity! I had to giggle at Adam and Eve after they were covered with the leaves. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

ooo my goodness!! So neat!! I absolutely love this idea!! :-)

kewkew said...

I also absolutely love this idea. I will have to keep it in mind for the future (I actually just added it to my new "ideas I found on blogs" notebook). We are doing Adam and Eve this week as we are on the letter Aa, but there is no way I will put that together fast enough. You have some neat ideas here. Cute little people. The fence is simple and I love the way you attached the leaf coverings. Thanks for this great idea.

Ticia said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this. It's got me thinking.

Kara said...

Your set is so cute! I started a Godly Play program at our old church for the 3 and 4 year olds and loved it! This year I am doing something similar following the Good Shepherd program with my 3 year old at home. The kids always enjoy playing with the sets and I do too:)

Tam said...

love it! thanks for sharing!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I love this! What a fabulous and creative idea! Too, too cute!

Dorie said...

Great idea for hands on learning! Thank you for sharing.
I'm visiting from Raising Rock Stars.

Mandy said...

Wow, I love this idea! I've been looking for an idea for my kids to use for their own personal quiet times...outside of our family devotions. This would be a great tool for them to be able to focus their minds on a Bible story...thanks for sharing!

Our Family for His Glory said...

I love this idea too!! How cute & a wonderful way to get your little ones involved!!
Jessica

Counting Coconuts said...

Fantastic idea!! I love it and will definitely make some of these for my James. Thank you so much for sharing!

alljoinin said...

Love this one

purple squirrel said...

OH! This is excellent! Love it! Have to think on something similar for my little class of one. :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Great post! Since we are reviewing God's Great Convenant the old testament I wanted to include Godly Play because I know my children will understand the story better.

This post is so inspirational! Now off to look into my stash of things to see what I can do.

Thank you so much for posting this!!